The content of this website is currently undergoing some changes.
I will update informations about Farm432, all my current projects, speaking engagements etc. soon.
Please visit the site of my professional practice for more information, jobs and partnerships here:Diese Seite wird momentan überarbeitet -meine professionelle Adresse ist nun:
L I V I N Studio
- ______________________________________snapshot of my pitch @ Pioneers, Hofburg Vienna
January 16th, 2015
FUNGI AND BUGS FOR THE AUDIENCEMediamatic is a Dutch organization supporting bio designers and artists.I was invited to speak at their monthly "BioTalk", the first one held in the new yearand in their new space opposite from the Nemo Museum in Amsterdam.I had so much fun and the audience was happily tasting homegrown bugs and fungi!Check out what they do:Link
December 29, 2014
I hope you all had a great year- here it´s been really exciting.From strategic design in the US over feed projects in Africa, novel food design research in Hollandand more research on bugs and sustainability in Hawai´i and Hong Kong:I´ve been truly stoked about what I was able to experience throughout 2014.If you´re interested, check out my Winter newsletter (sent through my collaborative studio LIVIN).I would be jumping if you would sign up!______________________________________
September 26, 2014ON AIR @ SVT KOBRAI gave an interview about Farm 432 and my view on entomophagy in Swedish TV show "Kobra".Sweden´s famous Kristofer Lundström traveled to Hong Kong to meet me and eat insects together!The show, although partly in Swedish, is worth a look. It is a beautiful compilation of content around entomophagy.I am on in the first 10 minutes.Check it out here:
I was featured in the video overview of the United Nations´ first global conference on insects for food and feed!
August 18, 2014How does a mega-city like Hong Kong feed its people?I went from African to Hong Kong jungles (quite literally)to further investigate the role of design for food security.There are first initiatives being set for utilizing the black soldier flyfor tranforming waste to feed in the world´s most wasteful city.______________________________________
July 19, 2014Mambo!I am currently in Tanzania, Africa, to work with a Maasai community on the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro.They currently find themselves in a cultural shift from nomadic herders to settled farmers.Agricultural practise is therefore new to them and they face the challenge of feeding their livestockwithout vast amounts of land available and months of migration during the dry season.The co-design work with this tribe is done within theInternational Development Design Summit, sponsored by USAID and organized by MIT.______________________________________
June 23, 2014
Sneak Peek into our busy studio session cooking edible insect in Austrian Servus TV Show "TM Wissen".On Air in September!
June 16, 2014Farm432 is winner in the Core77 International Design Awards, category "Food Design"!See my entry and questions on the product here.______________________________________
- ______________________________________May 17, 2014Happy to announce that I have won the Bio Art & Design Award together with my colleague Julia Kaisinger.That means we have a brand new project brewing, of course in the field of agriculture and food.Stay tuned!______________________________________
- ______________________________________May 16, 2014I was participating in the UN Conference "Insects to feed the world" in Wageningen, the Netherlands.Conveniently at the start of the conference, my interview with Swedish radio Sverige came out.Listen to it here______________________________________
- ______________________________________May 4, 2014I had the honor to be a fellow in the 99U Conference in NYC last week.Thank you Behance for making me part of this awesome group of people!______________________________________
March 28, 2014
I was invited to SC Johnson´s campus this week-giving a presentation on Farm 432 and the origins of our current and future food!I met their team of the Design Department of Global Insect Control (yes, that´s a thing!)and saw the gorgeous Frank Lloyd Wright (and Foster) architecture.sorry for the low res, took this picture out of a video taken with my phone______________________________________
- ______________________________________March 1Livin Studio @ Future Food Salon in Austin, Texas!Photos by Sloan Breeden______________________________________
- ______________________________________February 24, 2014We are proud to be on the FAO Stakeholder Directory for Edible Insects!______________________________________
- ______________________________________March 1, 2014I just founded Livin Studio, together with Julia Kaisinger.A design studio dedicated to Agricultural Production, Food and natural products.Our website www.livinstudio.com is currently under construction.Stay tuned!______________________________________
- ______________________________________February 9Cooking again: GrubnolaTM !created in collaboration with the genius food designer Fuajia Amincheck it out at Future Food SalonWednesday 19th, 2014Brazos Hall,Austin, Texas, USAalso please support my friends from Little Herds,the first North-American Entomophagy non-profitin their fundraising here:______________________________________
- ______________________________________February 2explanatory video about Entomophagy by Emma Bryce______________________________________
January 28, 2014
Coding influences many worlds, even agriculture.Agria featured in minute 2:29 !_________________________________
- ______________________________________January 21, 2014Scroll down this Link to hear my radio interviewfrom last week with Stephan Karkowsy atRadioEins Berlinphoto: dpa
- ______________________________________December 25, 2013Wishing you a warm and joyful Christmas!see you back in the new year with news indesigning for sustainable food and feed!______________________________________
- ______________________________________November 14, 2013Office for this week: I´m in Oahu, Hawaii, to explore the future of food and feed.Stay tuned!______________________________________
- October 5, 2013Impressions of our event at Vienna Design WeekAll photos by Jürgen Schmücking______________________________________
- "Best young farmer of Europe" and snail breeder Andreas Gugumuck meetsour black soldier fly larvae at our event at Vienna Design Week!photo by Jürgen Schmücking
- Larvae Lunchphoto by Jürgen Schmücking
- Phora with Muhr van der Niepoort winesphoto by Jürgen Schmücking
All photos by Jürgen Schmücking______________________________________
- ______________________________________October 3, 2013Mentioned on Wikipedia!There is new content on Wikipedia´s section of "Black Soldier Fly".Black Soldier Fly larvae are now described as consumable for humans,mentioning me and Farm 432.Thanks!______________________________________
- October 3, 2013Spoiling Canadian breakfasts? Listen to my interview this morningin Vancouver´s CKNW Morning News with Philip Till !
- ______________________________________October 2, 2013ON AIR @ BLU RADIO COLOMBIAI had an interview with Blu Radio Colombiain their daily evening technology showlisten to it here:
- ______________________________________September 27, 2013the prototypical setup with larvae and flies can be seen during Vienna Design Week.Food Blogger Alexandra Palla will be hosting the food event at RoughCutHall :feel free to drop by to grab some deliciously prepared larvaeand experience excellent wine with Phora !The event will be presented by food and lifestyle magazine Biorama______________________________________